7.03.2008

Memphis in May

I know this is a little late, but I really wanted to share my trip to Tennessee to visit my older sister Denise and her fam. We went to celebrate Denise's 30th birthday.

During our visit the big Memphis in May festival was going on. This is the largest rib contest in the world. We walked through a ton of booths, ate way too much, and took a paddle boat down the Mississippi river. You can see how pretty it looked at night.



It was so great to see Denise. I can't tell you how much I miss having her here. She is doing really well now that she's all settled in. She's a surgical nurse at one of the hospitals in Memphis and still keeps up being a full time mom. Not to mention their slew of animals that she takes care of, including but not limited to: chickens, dogs, cats, fish, a bird, cows, horses and a donkey(I think). Wow. I'm in awe but not envious. :)

They really do have a beautiful home. I wasn't ready to come back when I had to leave. Everything is so green there. Oh, but don't forget to watch out for the fire ants! The south has some nasty little creatures.

The best part of my trip was spending time with my neice and nephew, Ethan and Teralynn. It was so much fun to hang out with them. They are getting so big. Ethan and I had a blast together. We had crawfish races, went to the park, played T-ball, rode bikes, cuddled, played soccer, you name it we did it. I'm not sure who was more tired at the end of the day, but we both slept good ;)

Ethan taking his little sister for ride on his quad. SO CUTE!!


A trip to the south wouldn't be complete without a crawfish boil. To my suprise, they actually tasted pretty good.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer -

My family is from the south as well... and really we were able to go crawfish hunting in SoCal also. Anyhow, when I was little we went crawfish hunting all the time (they are so delicious). I never picked them up because I was too scared but any time my family heard a scream they knew I had found a big one.
It's also nice to hear that you all call them crawfish... so many people say crawdads - just another one of those things that drives me nuts (like pop instead of soda - but really, no one is wrong/right, it's just where you come from).
I went to that big easy festival in Reno one year so I could get some crawfish - it was the weirdest thing; they served them cold! I ate it anyway :o)

Alisha said...

jen carey!!!
i'm so happy you found me. your girls are adorable. sounds like you're having fun. as funny as it sounds i miss fallon a lot.
i got very envious reading of you going to the lake... those were the days.
anyway, i saw that you're an RN. me too:) i am convinced that it's the best career for a mother. i'm going to keep up with you.

Lewieville said...

Well I love Tennessee too and we are giong there the end of july! It looks like youhad so much fun!