1.24.2009

VIVA ROMA


Just wanted to let everyone know that we made it to Rome safely and have been having the time of our lives!

The plane ride over wasn't bad at all for an overnight 20.5hr trip. We had a stop in Germany and I'll admit that once I heard the language barrier, I was a little frightened. It really hasn't been bad here in Rome though. Most everyone speaks a little broken English and getting around has been fairly easy. I've had a really hard time establishing my sense of direction and its a good thing I have Taylor because who knows where I would have ended up by now.


The first day here we made a whirlwind trip around most of the city by foot. Hitting the Colosseum, Roman forum, Palatine hill, the Pantheon, Trevi fountain, the Spanish steps, Victor Emanuel monument and at least half a dozen churches on the way. Pretty sure we walked at least 10-12miles that day.


Day #2 was spent at a little slower pace and we strolled through the smaller streets and alleys to the far north part of the city. Soaking in the different culture, sights and sounds. I'll have plenty of pictures, stories and descriptions later.


Day #3 was a day at the Vatican. This was a fantastic day where I just tried to grasp the reality that I was standing in the Sistine Chapel under the ceiling that Michelangelo himself had painted so long ago. The was the main ticket item for me, but I really enjoyed my trip to the Vatican and St. Peters Basilica and can't wait to share more later.


Day #4 (today) A train ride to the city of Pompei. Remember the stories we read in school- Mt. Vesuvius erupted and a giant cloud of hot ash fell upon the ancient Roman city, preserving it until its discovery and excavation. Well, I had no idea just how big this city was. We walked our fare share of miles today and I know that we missed a lot of the city. Pretty amazing though that so much of it still stands.


Well, thats the quick version of our trip so far. We've been struggling a little with the time change and have been going to bed around 7pm and waking around 4am. Taylor is asleep right now and I'm trying to stay awake a little longer so maybe I can sleep past 4. We'll see.

We come home on the 27th and I'll try to have pics up as soon as possible.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Oh my GOD!!!!!!!! I miss you and I'm glad that you are having a great time. What a once in a lifetime experience!!! Guess I have to live through you! ahahah. I have a few stories for you when you come back...not nearly as exciting as you but stories none the less:) Call me!

Em

Tiffy said...

I am so glad you are having a great time! I can't wait to see you again and hear all about it and see all the pictures! Have lots more fun and be careful!

Anonymous said...

Wow! It's the only way I can keep up with the two of you! You have a way with words and photo's.....You are amazing.

here is the link to my new we site Alaska.....http://visitalaska.wordpress.com/

I will keep you posted, but how do you do this, it's great,

Love Wendy